Saturday, July 18, 2009

Please Slow down or Else

This is an open letter to all drivers who speed and do not stop at the stop signs in University Park, Maryland. If you are one of the few who do stop and do not speed, congratulations!

I have observed newspaper delivery persons speed through the stop signs and race as though they had to be at a real job by 5 am.
Some of the UP residents( I know who you are) have even flown through the stop signs as they talked on their cell phones or yelled at their children in the back seat. To them, I say shame on you. You are not giving your kids a very good example of being a careful driver.

Of course there are several drivers who use our streets as a cut through to Adelphi Road. Young, old, it does not matter!

I have tried to control my anger. But now something must be done.

I have contacted the supplier for the static lines on aircraft carriers. If you recall, the static line catches the jets as they land on postage stamp size runways in the ocean. I'm still working out the logistics of how to lay the line without tripping up local joggers. I'm looking at either placing the line between two trees or digging a trench and laying a hook connected to the static line with mouse trap. Then when the car speeds through an area, the hook grabs the first axle it comes in contact with and the car stops. I would suggest that you start wearing your seat belt and are not drinking a cup of hot coffee because cars have been known to flip over!

I have also contacted a company which sells retractable jersey barriers. The black barriers would lay just below the road surface, waiting for its prey to just go over the speed limit. Then the barriers would leap out and stop the speeders or the non stopping stop sign runners. The barriers would drop below the road surface until the next law breaker appeared.

My other thought is to connect a fire hose to a nearby hydrant. I know how to use a fire hose and nozzle. Gives a new meaning to a car pool.

You have a choice.
You can stop at all stop Signs.
You can Slow down.

Or you can wear your beach attire while speeding through University Park. It's up to you!
to see how others are coping with speeders in their neighborhoods!

No comments: