Thursday, May 28, 2009

One Last Picture

     “Frank, do you have any idea what time it is?”

     “I’m sorry I woke you, Grace.”  

     “What is so important that you had to wake me out of a sound sleep? Were you caught again by the railroad police? Didn't you get all your permits before you left? I know you love taking pictures of graffiti on the side of rail cars but one day you’re going to get yourself in so much trouble, you’ll…”  

     Frank moans very loudly. There is the sound of sirens getting louder. She also hears some other voices.  

     “Frank, what’s wrong?”  

     An unfamiliar voice yells, “We’re going to need some more lights and find out where the hell is the copter.”  

     “Frank, tell me what’s wrong. What’s going on and who are those people? Where are you?”

     Suddenly Frank screams into the cell-phone as pain racks his body.

     “Hold on Frank. The doctor said you could have all the painkillers you wanted. Here, this should help,” as the medic adds morphine into the IV in Frank’s arm.  

     “Grace, I called to tell you I love you and I’m sorry about the…. THE PAIN, DO SOMETHING ABOUT THE PAIN. I CAN’ TAKE IT ANYMORE,” Frank screams.  

     The medic injects another bolus of morphine into the IV. As the morphine finally kicks in, Frank drops the cellphone to the gravel, wet with blood.. A medic lifts the cell to his ear.  

     “Hello, my name is Isaac. I’m one of four medics with your husband. We are doing everything we can to keep your husband as comfortable as possible. There are two doctors on line with one of the other medics.”  

     “What is wrong with my husband?” Grace asks as she sits up and leans against the headboard.  

     “Apparently he was taking pictures between two railcars. There was not much room between the couplers. The engineer called us as soon as he heard the screaming. We were on the scene within minutes. Can I call you Grace?”  

     “You’re worrying me.”  

     “Grace, he has massive internal injuries. The couplers are acting like a tourniquet on his body. Right now, he is not feeling any pain.”  

     “Isaac, what are you trying to tell me?” Grace asks as she grips the phone with both hands.          

     “Grace, what do you think I’m telling you? “ the medic asks.  

     “Are you saying that when the couplers are removed, Frank will die. Oh God, NO. Can’t you do something else? Please, please.”  

     “Grace, hold on a second.”  

     Grace hears another voice say there is  more hemorrhaging.  

     “Grace, he wants to talk to you.”  

     “Grace, I’m so sorry I woke you but I wanted to tell you that I love you so much and always will.   If I hadn’t wanted to take one last picture, I never would have gotten myself into this mess.”  

     “I love you so much, Frank..”  

     Isaac yells, “His pressure is dropping too damn fast. Open all the lines.”  

     “Frank, Frank.”

   


   
   

No comments: